I was completely out of commission for two weeks in March, thanks to an unseasonably late case of the flu. (It was the influenza “B” strain if you’re keeping score.) Poor Lennox got it, too. We were a mess, and we’re both still coughing and very fatigued. I spent my birthday flat on my back with a fever of 101F, so my tea party was of course canceled. I missed two weeks of work, too; it was a less-than-fabulous birthday month all around.
Although I sign up for pretty much any retailer’s e-mail list that will give me some form of birthday coupon, I was only able to take advantage of about half of the ones I got this year — mostly because I was too sick to leave the house. I do wait to shop with several retailers until their coupons come in and rarely make purchases just because I have a coupon, so at least I only spend money I plan to spend. It’s not an excuse for a spending orgy, is what I mean to say! Heh.
Anyway, despite my mostly-wasted month, in March I:
- Paid for all but one of my Patreon pledges using money earned taking surveys.
- Was given a packet of feminine hygiene products by a relative who got the wrong kind. They were the exact sort I prefer, except that I normally use the store brand knock-off! (She whispers: “Gonna have a plush, name brand period!”)
- Got to enjoy the Blu-ray of “Thor: Ragnarok” that Lennox bought for only $3 using a combination of coupons and Best Buy gift certificates from his credit card points. (That man is a hell of a bargain shopper!)
- Used a $10 off any purchase coupon (for my birthday) to reduce the cost of a couple of bras at Torrid. They were also on sale.
- Used a $15 off any purchase coupon (again, for my birthday) to purchase a comforter insert at IKEA. We needed to replace our old one, and the coupon made it half price.
- Used a code (yet another birthday coupon) to get a free Red Box rental.
- Used one last birthday coupon to get 20% off at Jo-Ann Fabric. Unlike their regular coupons, this one worked on both regular and sale price items. That almost never happens! I only bought things on my list — thread, elastic, and 3/4 yard quilting cotton to make floral bias tape — but I saved $4.95 with my coupon.
- Had a free drink on my Starbucks card — but was too sick to redeem my free birthday drink before it expired! Oh, well. Better luck next year, I suppose.
- Read 21 ebooks and 5 physical books from the library. I also read one free Kindle book…but then spent $44.85 on other books (good heavens), so like…still not a great month for the old book budget.
I definitely spent too much in March, both personally and for the household. A lot of the household expenditures were unavoidable due to our illnesses (we ordered lots of take-out while we were both too ill to cook), and though I’m grateful that we have the wiggle room in our budget to do this when things are difficult, I hope we’ll do a little better in April.
Next month I hope to get some sewing done; I intend to make a few things for myself for Me Made May and a pair of wild leggings for my Mom for her birthday. I’ll also be participating in Camp Nanowrimo, so I hope to make decent progress on my current novel. (I have been doing well there, at least! I’ve been writing steadily every single day, except for the first week of that terrible flu.) I also plan to finish our personal tax return before the deadline in April. I haven’t had to take out an extension in over ten years, and I mean to keep my streak intact! I know this seems like a lot — okay, it is a lot — but I know I can do it…if I can stay healthy. Keep your fingers crossed for me!